Skip to Content

MIDDLE CAMP

Beach PATROLLED PATROLLED TODAY
Beach Number:
nsw259
State/Region:
NSW Newcastle
Post Code:

Length:
1.5km
General Beach Hazard Rating:
7/10 (Highly hazardous)

Nearby Beaches:
middle camp south  (0.6km) moonee  (1.2km) pinny  (1.7km) little / ghosties  (1.8km) timber  (1.9km)

Today's Hazards

  • Lightning

Beach Status

CLOSED

Beach

Catherine Hill Bay is a 1.5 km long east-facing bay bordered by prominent headlands and rock platforms. It is occupied by two sandy beaches (NSW 259 & 260) also known as Middle Camp Beach (Fig. 4.151 & 4.152), and backed by two valleys, the northern drained by Middle Gamp Gully which flows across the northern end, with a smaller creek flowing out towards the southern end. The backing slopes are the site of two coal mining communities, the northern Middle Camp and southern Catherine Hill Bay which dates back to 1873. Parking and good beach access to the beach is available in the north next to the cemetery, and in the south next to the road and Catherine Hill Bay SLSC. Middle Camp Beach (NSW 259) is now better known as Catherine Hill Bay, the name resulting from the wreck of the schooner Catherine Hill in 1867. While it was one of the first beaches 'discovered' by Sydney surfers in the late 1950s, the local coal miners had formed a surf club at the beach in 1928. Coal mines operate at either end, and masses of coal are piled above the southern headland. Up until 1963 a railway line ran along the back of the beach delivering coal to the southern jetty, for loading onto small coastal steamers.The main beach is 1.5 km long and sweeps in a gentle east-facing arc between the headlands. The surf club sits on the southern bluff, just above the beach. The beach receives waves averaging 1.5 m decreasing slightly to the south resulting in one bar cut by 5-6 beach rips with a strong permanent rip against the northern head. To the north the rips are often joined by a trough, creating a continuous rip and rip feeder channel along much of the beach.South of the southern rocks and 250 m long coal jetty is the second smaller more protected 150 m long north-facing beach (NSW 260). It is wedged in between the jetty, cliffs and a low rock platform. Waves refracting around the point average less than 0.5 m and maintain a steep reflective beach, which is used for launching small fishing boats.

Swimming

Best in the south between the flags. This is a potentially hazardous beach owing to the persistent rips, particularly up the beach. Stay close inshore, on attached bars, if present, and watch for rips holes and feeder currents.

Surfing

The large rips and bars up the northern end usually have a wave, with the right conditions holding good breaks up to 2 m. When its too big up north, then look to the southern end for a little protection and cleaner swell.

Fishing

North of the beach are a series of popular rock gullies called Middle Camp Inlet, Bogey Hole, Drummer Hole and Shark Hole which are fished for mulloway, snapper, bream and groper. On the beach the best gutters are up the beach. The southern rocks, between the jetty and the point, are flat and more protected, with vehicle access to the beach, which is used to launch small boats.

Location

Information Symbols

  • Formal parking area Formal parking area
  • Toilets Toilets
  • Disabled Toilets Disabled Toilets
  • Dressing shed Dressing shed
  • Showers Showers
  • Kiosk Kiosk
  • Park Park
  • BBQ BBQ
  • Shade Shade
  • Shelters Shelters
  • Lookout Lookout
  • Mobile Phone Coverage Mobile Phone Coverage
  • Train Train

Regulation Symbols

  • Surfcraft Prohibited Surfcraft Prohibited
  • No Parking No Parking
  • No Dogs Allowed No Dogs Allowed

SLSA provides this information as a guide only. Surf conditions are variable and therefore this information should not be relied upon as a substitute for observation of local conditions and an understanding of your abilities in the surf. SLSA reminds you to always swim between the red and yellow flags and never swim at unpatrolled beaches. SLSA takes all care and responsibility for any translation but it cannot guarantee that all translations will be accurate.

Last updated: 28/08/2013 12:04:57

 

PATROL INFORMATION

Patrol Information
  Mon 26/09 Tue 27/09 Wed 28/09 Thu 29/09 Fri 30/09 Sat 01/10 Sun 02/10
Catherine Hill Bay SLSC
09:00
-
17:00
09:00
-
17:00
Lake Macquarie City Council Lifeguard Service
08:30
-
17:00
08:30
-
17:00
08:30
-
17:00
08:30
-
17:00
08:30
-
17:00
08:30
-
17:00

STATISTICS

July 2016 - June 2017

Rescues:
0
First Aids:
0
Preventative Actions:
0

The following organisations contribute to the above totals: Catherine Hill Bay SLSC Lake Macquarie City Council Lifeguard Service

Hazards

  • Sharks Sharks
  • Bluebottles Bluebottles
  • Winds Winds
  • Littoral currents Littoral currents
  • Fixed rips Fixed rips
  • Flash rips Flash rips
  • Travelling rips Travelling rips
  • Rocks Rocks
  • Shallow Water Shallow Water
  • Uneven ground Uneven ground
  • Submerged Objects Submerged Objects
  • Shallow Sandbars Shallow Sandbars
  • Beach exposure Beach exposure
  • Accessible Rock Platforms Accessible Rock Platforms
  • Long beach Long beach
  • Beach erosion Beach erosion
  • Heavy shorebreak Heavy shorebreak
  • High surf High surf
  • Gutters Gutters
  • Strong Currents Strong Currents

Service Providers

SLSA provides this information as a guide only. Surf conditions are variable and therefore this information should not be relied upon as a substitute for observation of local conditions and an understanding of your abilities in the surf. SLSA reminds you to always swim between the red and yellow flags and never swim at unpatrolled beaches. SLSA takes all care and responsibility for any translation but it cannot guarantee that all translations will be accurate.

WEATHER

Mon, 26 Sep 04:00 am

NORAH HEAD AWS (10 km)


Partly cloudy.
13.00 °C
W/11 km/h
Wind

Weather information
MonTueWedThuFriSat
20° 12° 22° 11° 21° 11° 22° 14° 18° 11° 22° 13°

WATER

19

Issued at Sun, 25 Sep 14:19

SWELL FORECAST

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
  • AM
  • PM
  • AM
  • PM
  • AM
  • PM
  • AM
  • PM
  • SW
    17 km/h
    0.2m
  • SSE
    20 km/h
    0.2m
  • W
    20 km/h
    0.2m
  • WSW
    21 km/h
    0.2m
  • WSW
    13 km/h
    0.1m
  • ENE
    22 km/h
    0.2m
  • NNE
    26 km/h
    0.2m
  • WNW
    29 km/h
    0.2m

Newcastle issued at Mon, 26 Sep 03:23

more
Today's Swell Description
Wind:
South to southwesterly 15 to 20 knots tending east to northeasterly 10 to 15 knots in the afternoon then shifting southwesterly 10 to 20 knots in the evening.
Swell:
Southerly 1 to 2 metres.
Seas:
1 to 1.5 metres.
Weather:
Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers offshore, 30% chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm offshore north of Norah Head in the evening.

UV INDEX

7



more

TODAY'S TIDE

  • high
    04:58
    0.72m
  • low
    10:43
    0.24m
  • high
    17:01
    0.96m
  • low
    23:59
    0.13m

more

Swansea issued at Mon, 26 Sep 05:02

WARNINGS

TODAY'S RADAR

There are currently no events for this beach.
Create Event

What's On

Create Event
Back to top