Moderately hazardous: 4-6
Highly hazardous: 7-8
Extremely hazardous: 9-10
The eastern shore of Cleveland Bay consists of a 7 km long, rocky and sandy shore that ends at Cape Cleveland. Both the cape and the bay were named by Captain Cook in June 1770. Townsville lies 20 km across the bay on its western shore, with mangroves occupying much of the southern shore in between. The mangroves finally end at the eastern extremity of Launs Beach, where the shore also turns to a more northerly direction. For the first three kilometres north from Launs Beach, the shore alternates between six small, generally undeveloped, sandy beaches and the granitic rocks of Mount Cleveland; located 3 km to the east and reaching a height of 560 m.
Beach 867 is a 200 m strip of sand around the first headland from Launs Beach. It consists of a low, narrow, west facing beach backed by a small, grassy beach ridge, with a small, mangrove-fringed creek draining out across the southern end, together with mangroves in the northern corner of the beach. The beach is bounded and backed by steeply rising granite slopes, with a few large boulders on and off the beach.
All six have nice, small, sandy beaches at high tide, while extensive tidal flats are exposed at low tide.
Only at high tide.
Six isolated beaches that can only be reached by boat at high tide.