Moderately hazardous: 4-6
Highly hazardous: 7-8
Extremely hazardous: 9-10
The eastern shore of Cleveland Bay consists of a 7 km long, rocky and sandy shore that ends at Cape Cleveland. Both the cape and the bay were named by Captain Cook in June 1770. Townsville lies 20 km across the bay on its western shore, with mangroves occupying much of the southern shore in between. The mangroves finally end at the eastern extremity of Launs Beach, where the shore also turns to a more northerly direction. For the first three kilometres north from Launs Beach, the shore alternates between six small, generally undeveloped, sandy beaches and the granitic rocks of Mount Cleveland; located 3 km to the east and reaching a height of 560 m.
Beaches 868, 869 and 870 are three small, north-west facing pockets of sand; 40 m, 50 m and 100 m long respectively; lying along the base of a 1 km long headland. The three are separated by large granite boulders and backed by steeply rising, wooded slopes. There are a few shacks on beaches 869 and 870. Each beach has a small high tide beach, a 30 m wide low tide beach and tidal flats extending 300 to 400 m into the bay.
All six have nice, small, sandy beaches at high tide, while extensive tidal flats are exposed at low tide.
Only at high tide.
Six isolated beaches that can only be reached by boat at high tide.