Skip to Content

SORRENTO OCEAN (BACK)

Beach UNPATROLLED UNPATROLLED TODAY
Beach Number:
vic268
State/Region:
VIC Sorrento
Post Code:
3943
Length:
0.4km
General Beach Hazard Rating:
6/10 (Moderately hazardous)

Nearby Beaches:
st pauls  (0.5km) diamond bay  (1km) sorrento park  (1.1km) portsea (back)  (1.2km) sorrento front  (1.3km)

Beach

Sorrento Ocean or Back Beach lies at the end of Ocean Beach Road, 1.5 km south of the bayside town of Sorrento. There is a large car park and a picnic area, as well as a new surf lifesaving club, on the bluffs behind the beach. The beach lies in a natural amphitheatre formed by the protruding western headland and the patchy offshore reefs. The beach faces south-west and waves average 1.6 m over the reefs, but are lower at the beach. Here they have built one of the wider beaches in this section, with a continuous attached bar.

Swimming

Moderately safe on the inner section of the bar at high tide and clear of the rocks; however, watch the rips and rocks at low tide. Stay between the flags.

Surfing

Usually a low shorebreak at the beach.

Fishing

At low tide deep water can be fished from the rock platforms.

General

A popular beach for sun bathers and those wanting more action than at the Sorrento Bay Beach; and relatively safe under average waves.

Location

Information Symbols

  • Formal parking area Formal parking area
  • Drinking water Drinking water
  • Toilets Toilets
  • Kiosk Kiosk
  • BBQ BBQ
  • Picnic Picnic
  • Bus Bus
  • Train Train
  • Passenger ferry Passenger ferry

Regulation Symbols

    SLSA provides this information as a guide only. Surf conditions are variable and therefore this information should not be relied upon as a substitute for observation of local conditions and an understanding of your abilities in the surf. SLSA reminds you to always swim between the red and yellow flags and never swim at unpatrolled beaches. SLSA takes all care and responsibility for any translation but it cannot guarantee that all translations will be accurate.

    Last updated: 28/08/2013 12:05:09

     

    PATROL INFORMATION

    There is no beach service this week.

    STATISTICS

    July 2016 - June 2017

    Rescues:
    0
    First Aids:
    0
    Preventative Actions:
    0

    The following organisations contribute to the above totals: Sorrento SLSC (VIC) Sorrento (Vic) (Lifeguards)

    Hazards

    • Sharks Sharks
    • Topographic rips Topographic rips
    • High Tide Range High Tide Range

    Service Providers

    SLSA provides this information as a guide only. Surf conditions are variable and therefore this information should not be relied upon as a substitute for observation of local conditions and an understanding of your abilities in the surf. SLSA reminds you to always swim between the red and yellow flags and never swim at unpatrolled beaches. SLSA takes all care and responsibility for any translation but it cannot guarantee that all translations will be accurate.

    WEATHER

    Sat, 27 Aug 10:00 am

    GEELONG RACECOU (22 km)


    Partly cloudy.
    11.20 °C
    NNW/20 km/h
    Wind

    Weather information
    SatSunMonTueWedThu
    14° 15° 10° 15° 10° 15° 11° 16° 12° 14° 10°

    WATER

    12

    Issued at Fri, 26 Aug 14:04

    SWELL FORECAST

    Saturday
    Sunday
    Monday
    Tuesday
    • AM
    • PM
    • AM
    • PM
    • AM
    • PM
    • AM
    • PM
    • NW
      25 km/h
      2.4m
    • NW
      27 km/h
      2.1m
    • NW
      25 km/h
      2.1m
    • ESE
      12 km/h
      1.9m
    • NNE
      22 km/h
      1.3m
    • NNE
      17 km/h
      1.1m
    • NNE
      28 km/h
      1.7m
    • N
      32 km/h
      1.8m

    Sorrento issued at Sat, 27 Aug 00:13

    more
    Today's Swell Description
    Wind:
    Northwesterly 20 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots offshore in the late morning and afternoon.
    Swell:
    Southwesterly 2.5 to 3 metres, tending westerly 3 metres by early evening.
    Seas:
    1.5 to 2.5 metres.
    Weather:
    Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers offshore, 30% chance elsewhere.

    UV INDEX

    TODAY'S TIDE


      more

      WARNINGS

      TODAY'S RADAR

      There are currently no events for this beach.
      Create Event

      What's On

      Create Event
      Back to top