Middle Brighton Beach is the home of the Brighton Life Saving Club, which was formed in 1917. Unlike its boat shed lined neighbour (Dendy Street), Middle Brighton has a seawall and promenade running the length of the 500 m long beach. The beach is backed by The Esplanade, with a large car park next to the lifesaving club at the southern end of the beach.The beach is bordered by rock flats and reefs at each end. In addition, a groyne has been built across the northern end, while the seawall and low grassy bluffs back the beach. The beach tends to widen to the north, while the surf zone alternates between the reefs and an irregular, shallow, usually attached bar.
Bunker Bay is an open north-facing 2 km wide bay located between Shelley Beach and Rocky Point and contains a curving 2.3 km long sandy beach (WA 733).Waves average just over 1 m at the eastern end. The beach usually has a low tide terrace extending along the western section to a central inshore reef, with usually several beach rips towards the east. This is the highest energy beach along this section of coast and popular with surfers looking for beach breaks known as The Farm and Boneyards.There is a car park at the western end with a walk along the beach to reach the better surf. It is backed by a vegetated foredune, two central dammed creeks, that bracket a farm, and rising vegetated slopes to either rend. Rocky Point lies at the eastern end of a 600 m long section of granite shoreline. As the shoreline turns south at the point it permits two small pockets of sand to accumulate on the southern side of the point (beaches WA 734 & 735).
Casuarina Beach (NT 146) is the site of the Darwin Surf Life Saving Club, and is part of the Casuarina Coastal Reserve, a 1180 ha reserve which encompasses the entire 4.5 km long beach as well as Lee Point. The 5 km long reserve offers a wide range of recreation facilities, as well as a section for nude bathing. The continuous sand beach begins on the eastern side of the Dripstone Cliffs and consists of a wide high tide beach, fronted by 200-300 m wide intertidal sand flats containing two low ridges and runnels (Fig. 5.23). The beach terminates at rock flats that lie off sandy Lee Point. The surf club is located toward the southern end of the beach and is surrounded by the grassy reserve.