Beach Kendalls Beach (NSW 395) lies immediately south of Surf Beach, between Kendall Point and the sheltering Kaleula Head. It is named after the recipient of the first land grant in 1831, the Reverend Thomas Kendall. It became popular following the opening of the railway in 1887, while dressing sheds were erected in 1908. The curving 380 m long beach faces northeast, with waves refracted around the head averaging about 1 km and decreasing to the south. These are a usually attached and free of rips (Fig. 4.321), apart from a small topographic rip against Kendalls Point. The beach is backed by northern and central caravan parks, separated by grassy reserves, with a second reserve and car park in the south. Parking is limited to the streets with only one small car park off Chapman Street at the southern end, where a there is small lagoon and creek crossing the southern end of the beach. This is a quieter beach than Surf Beach and very popular during the summer holidays when it is also patrolled by lifeguards. However when waves exceed 1 m the northern rip intensifies.
Swimming Surf Beach is the most hazardous with permanent rips, while Kendalls and East offer usually quieter conditions free of rips. All three are patrolled, so stay between the flags.
Surfing Surf Beach offers the only regular surf, which is best under low to moderate waves, with big waves closing out across the bay. During moderate east to northeast swell a left called The Wedge runs along the rocks on the south side of Blow Hole Point.
Fishing There are always gutters of Surf Beach and abundant rocks around the foreshore. However beware as the rocks are steep and wash washed.