Main - Beach in Nambucca Heads Nambucca NSW - SLS Beachsafe

Main NSW

Nambucca Heads Main Beach (NSW 125) continuous south of the rocks for 600 m to a more prominent bluff, at the base of which is the Nambucca Heads SLSC (Fig. 4.64). Car parking is provided both above and below the bluffs, with shops and amenities ontop of the bluffs. The... Read more

Nambucca Heads Main Beach (NSW 125) continuous south of the rocks for 600 m to a more prominent bluff, at the base of which is the Nambucca Heads SLSC (Fig. 4.64). Car parking is provided both above and below the bluffs, with shops and amenities ontop of the bluffs. The bluffs form headlands, rocks and reefs where they protrude into the surf, resulting in an irregular beach alternating with rocks (Fig. 4.65) and waves averaging 1 m in height. The beach usually has a continuous attached bar under normal waves, with rips forming during higher wave conditions, particularly amongst the rocks. The surf club, which was formed in 1933, averages 14 rescues each year.

Swimming

These are five moderately sheltered, but rock and reef-dominated beaches, so use care when swimming. The most popular are the Main patrolled and the more sheltered Shelly.

Surfing

These beaches are not renown for their surf, though you will usually find a few locals surfing the northern and Main Beach breaks. During larger east and southeast waves there are breaks on some of the outer reefs.

Fishing

Best gutters are around the many rocks which are fished for mulloway, tailor, bream and flathead. Shelly Beach, the Jewie Hole on the heads and Wellington Rock to the east are all popular spots and are fished for bream, flathead, tailor and mulloway, with boat launching also at Shelly's.

General

Nambucca Heads is a popular coastal town of 7000 located on the northern side of the Nambucca River mouth. The 40 m high head extends north of the river for 3 km as a mixture of cliffs, bluffs, rocks and reefs, and divides the adjacent shoreline into five rock-bound beaches (NSW 124-128).

Read less

Patrolled Unpatrolled Today Change Day

There are currently no services provided by Surf Life Saving Australia for this beach. Please take the time to browse the Surf Safety section of this website to learn more about staying safe when swimming at Australian beaches. Click here to visit general surf education information.

Nambucca Heads SLSC Inc

Nambucca Heads Beach (Lifeguards)

Information

About

Nambucca Heads, NSW 2448

Length:
0.6km

General Beach Hazard Rating:
5/10 (Moderately hazardous)

Beach Key:
 nsw125

Nearby beaches

Hazards

  • Sharks
    Sharks
  • Bluebottles
    Bluebottles
  • Strong Currents
    Strong Currents

Information Symbols

  • Formal parking area
  • Drinking water
  • Toilets
  • Dressing shed
  • Showers
  • Kiosk
  • Shops
  • Public phone
  • Bus

Weather

Saturday 19, Aug 9:49 am

Day 20°    Night 8°
13°C
Windy. Sunny

Wind: Southwesterly 20 to 30 knots, reaching 30 to 40 knots offshore during the afternoon and evening.
Swell: Southerly 2 to 3 metres, increasing to 3 to 5 metres during the day.
Seas: 2.5 to 3 metres, increasing to 3 to 4 metres during the afternoon.
Weather: Partly cloudy. 80% chance of showers offshore in the afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Caution: Large and powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.

Tide

6 am
1.14m
12 am
0.31m
6 pm
1.64m
12 pm
0.25m

UV

Index: 5 (Moderate)

Sun protection recommended from 9:50 am to 2:10 pm


Radar

128 km

radar helper

Weather

Sunday 20, Aug

Day 20°    Night 8°
Wind easing. Partly cloudy

Wind: South to southwesterly 25 to 35 knots decreasing to 15 to 20 knots in the late evening.
Swell: Southerly 4 to 6 metres, decreasing to 3 to 4 metres by early evening.
Seas: 3 to 4 metres, decreasing to 2 to 2.5 metres by early evening.
Weather: Cloudy. 80% chance of showers offshore, 20% chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm offshore in the morning and afternoon. Caution: Large and powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.

Tide

7 am
1.19m
1 am
0.23m
7 pm
1.68m
1 pm
0.21m

UV

Index: 5 (Moderate)

Sun protection recommended from 9:50 am to 2:10 pm


Weather

Sat 19, Aug to Sat 26, Aug


Wind: South to southwesterly 15 to 20 knots becoming variable about 10 knots during the morning then becoming northwest to northeasterly 10 to 15 knots during the afternoon.
Swell: Southerly 3 to 4 metres, decreasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
Seas: 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to 1 metre during the morning.
Weather: Cloudy. 30% chance of a shower.

Tide


UV

Sat 19th 5 (Moderate) Sun protection recommended from 9:50 am to 2:10 pm
Sun 20th 5 (Moderate) Sun protection recommended from 9:50 am to 2:10 pm
Mon 21st 4 (Moderate) Sun protection recommended from 9:50 am to 2:00 pm
Tue 22nd 5 (Moderate) Sun protection recommended from 9:50 am to 2:10 pm

SLSA provides this information as a guide only. Surf conditions are variable and therefore this information should not be relied upon as a substitute for observation of local conditions and an understanding of your abilities in the surf. SLSA reminds you to always swim between the red and yellow flags and never swim at unpatrolled beaches. SLSA takes all care and responsibility for any translation but it cannot guarantee that all translations will be accurate.

;