Within the actual Shellharbour is a 60 m long stretch of protected sand (NSW 382). Two attached breakwaters and a 40 m wide entrance protect the cluster of moored boats and the beach, with conditions usually calm inside (fig. 4.311). The Harbour was a thriving little port from the 1850s until the railway came in the 1880s. It recreational amenities were enhanced with the first baths built in 1895. Today the harbour is surrounded by a foreshore reserve with parks and picnic facilities and the shops of Shellharbour behind. A rock pool is also located on the rocks just south of the Harbour wall. This is a lovely spot for a picnic and swimming in the rock pool.
Hampton Beach was once part of a continuous strip of sand running from Picnic Point to Green Point, including Brighton Beach. The Hampton Life Saving Club was formed in 1913, to patrol the southern end. However, construction of the boat harbour in the early 1950s trapped sand from the beach and erosion resulted. Beach nourishment was attempted in the 1970s, with little success; and the New Street groyne was built in 1986. This has trapped sand on the northern side and helped Brighton Beach, however Hampton remains virtually a shadow of its former self.Today the 900 m long beach is broad, but stagnant in the boat harbour. It consists of a few patches of sand where the Hampton Life Saving Club was previously located, and only a seawall, rocks and groyne up to the New Street groyne.Hampton Life Saving Club is located opposite the Sandringham Yacht Club between the Small St and New St Groynes. The Beach is well protected with a safe swimming area directly in front of the Life Saving Club. There are a few reefs just north of the club house, but these are easily visible from the shore. The Beach is popular with young families, and increasingly popular with Windsurfers and Kite Surfers.
Easts Beach (NSW 396) is the southernmost of Kiama’s pocket beaches. It is named after the caravan park that occupies the whole valley behind the beach and spreads up the southern slopes, with vehicle access being only for campers through the caravan park, making this look like a private beach. The beach is however, like all Australian beaches public property, open to all and is patrolled by lifeguards during the Christmas school holidays. The beach is 350 m long and faces east between 50 m high Marsden Head and a southern head. Waves average about 1 m at the shore, and maintain a usually attached bar with no rips under normal wave conditions (Fig. 4.322). However rips do form during higher waves. Munnora Creek and its small lagoon cross the southern end of the beach.